My So Called Crafty Life

12 Days of Handmade- DIY Flannel Heating Packs & Hand Warmers

IMG 8780 1020x1024 12 Days of Handmade  DIY Flannel Heating Packs & Hand Warmers

IMG 8782 1024x1022 12 Days of Handmade  DIY Flannel Heating Packs & Hand Warmers

IMG 8791 1024x1021 12 Days of Handmade  DIY Flannel Heating Packs & Hand Warmers

IMG 8793 1024x1022 12 Days of Handmade  DIY Flannel Heating Packs & Hand Warmers

Hey there! Welcome to day six of my 12 Days of Handmade Gifts! Today I am going to show you how to make heating pads and hand warmers with flannel, feed corn and rice. I have to admit, when I first tried this craft last year, I thought it wouldn’t be much of anything to holler about, but man was I wrong! I LOVE these heating pads! The hand warmers are really nice too! And they are both really easy to make. All you need is 100% cotton fabric and filler.

Instructions:

First you want to cut your fabric to the size you wish. I made mine around 9×18, but you can make it how large or small you like. Cut a front and back for each hot pack. Now, stitch around your fabric right sides together and leaving room for turning and filling. Turn your sack right side out. Now insert a funnel into the opening in your sack. You can use rice, corn, or wheat to fill your hot packs. I have used rice and feed corn, and I think corn keeps the heat longer. You can buy it at your local farm supply store. Pour cups of filler into your funnel until it’s about 1/3 to 1/2 full. Stitch a straight seam across the middle of your bag if you like at this point. You can add more seams for partitions so that the corn stays in place better, or you can fill the bag without stitching pockets down and mold the bag more fluidly. I like to put one in the middle so that the corn doesn’t all settle in one spot, but is still really malleable for me to scrunch up. Fill the bag with more corn until it is 2/3rds or so full. Then finish off your bag by stitching the end with the opening closed with a topstitch close to the edge of your fabric. And that’s it. Easy right! To heat up your pack heat in the microwave for a minute at a time until it’s where I like it. To make handwarmers, just make the sacks smaller. I make my handwarmers around 3×4 inches and you just stitch, turn right side out, fill and close up just like the large bags.

IMG 8781 1024x1022 12 Days of Handmade  DIY Flannel Heating Packs & Hand Warmers

IMG 8787 1024x1022 12 Days of Handmade  DIY Flannel Heating Packs & Hand Warmers

IMG 8792 1024x1024 12 Days of Handmade  DIY Flannel Heating Packs & Hand Warmers

IMG 8795 1024x1021 12 Days of Handmade  DIY Flannel Heating Packs & Hand Warmers

I can’t even begin to express how fantastic these are! I use the one’s I have all the time. I never use my heating pad any more. I just pop one of these packs in the microwave and I’m good to go. I have tmj and these are so nice on my jaw when it’s really tight. They are fantastic for muscle aches, and icy cold toes at night. You can also put them in the freezer for cold packs as well. For an extra treat add a few drops of essential oils to make your pack smell divine! I hope I have inspired some of you to try some of these easy little handmade gifts! Be sure to tune in tomorrow for another fun holiday handmade gift project!

Happy Crafting!

34 Thoughts on “12 Days of Handmade- DIY Flannel Heating Packs & Hand Warmers

1. Debra Neiman on 15 October, 2013 at 9:45 pm said:

I definitely will make these, I also keep one in the freezer to use.

• Haha, me too! People think, eh, they aren’t that great, there’s no way they can really get that warm. I LOVE mine! I use the heating packs for my cold feet in bed, and for aches and pains. And then I keep the small ones in the freezer to use as a non messy ice pack for boo-boos :) Glad to see other people use them too :)

2. Fran Gurka on 16 October, 2013 at 3:53 pm said:

Great stuff. Cannot wait to see what you come up with next.

3. this is a very neat idea thanks for sharing it is getting that time of year and these would work out great thanks again :)

4. These are really a neat stocking stuffer idea. I can just imagine after the kids have been out in the snow playing and sledding and then coming in to a surprise to get their hands all warmed up!

5. Carolyn on 29 October, 2013 at 4:07 pm said:

“Now, stitch around your fabric wrong sides together and leaving room for turning and filling.” Did you mean right sides together?

6. Linda L. on 4 December, 2013 at 12:04 pm said:

FYI – the instructions still say “wrong sides” together. I know this because my daughter carefully followed the instructions!! Now she’s learned how to use a seam ripper.

• Oh no, I’m sorry Linda :( Thought I had fixed it before. I hate having to use a seam ripper. It is fixed now and I double checked it this time. Thanks for letting me know :)

• Linda L. on 4 December, 2013 at 11:23 pm said:

Not a problem – she had to find out about seam rippers sometime ;-D
        The funny part is this is probably the first time she’s actually followed the instructions for any sewing project!!!

7. Just a hint on the hand warmer. I have arthritus in my fingers and am planning on sewing a strip of elastic to the top and bottom to keep the hand warmer snug on my hand and still be able to knit, sew or whatever.

8. Hi, I tried making little hand warmers based off another tutorial but the same idea with rice or corn. I heated them and after just 5 or 10 minutes the corn was cold again, and the rice lasted a little longer but after 10 minutes they didn’t nearly have the heat to keep frozen hands warm. Am I missing some trick? I read that rice was suppose to last 20+ min. And corn twice as long! I kept reading that these were the best thing ever and I just feel let down after a wasted trip to the feed store :(

• Hi Karly! To answer your question, yes, and no. I have found that the handwarmers don’t retain their heat for very long. I never really had much luck with the ones you get in the store either though. Try popping them in the microwave a little longer. I pop mine in the freezer and use them for minor boo boos. I will say the larger ones are fantastic! I keep one in the freezer, and one for heating. I use mine all the time. I put mine in the microwave for around 3 minutes. In the winter I heat one up at bedtime and put it down at my feet cause they are always freezing. They are also good for cramps and backaches. I had a really bad case of TMJ last year, and my bag helped me so so much because I could mold the bag around where I needed it. Give a larger sac a try, and you may find you really like it :)

9. These are wonderful. Do you have a source for feed corn that has not been treated with chemicals? I’m thinking I don’t want chemicals heating up in my microwave. Suggestions?

10. I have a corn filled footwarmer that I have had for several years and use it all the time. I love it! I made a flannel cover for it so I can wash it. I am making hand warmers for the grandkids so they can warm them up and put them in their pockets when they go out in the cold. I have used flax seed in these as well. It may be a good alternative if you do not fill too much, because the seeds are small they may wrap around an arthritic hand better. The corn really keeps the heat in the best! Love these

11. Kathleen Cockrum on 18 December, 2013 at 8:53 pm said:

I have made the microwave heating pads for several years now and have tried different methods. I have decided that I like the muslin an score it into sections so the rice won’t go all to one end and then fill with rice and make a fleece outer cover in design patterns. The fleece is soft against the skin and by having an inside bag made up it can be removed and washed. I have made them for friends in different sizes and tried my hand on making a hand mitt. Wish I had thought just to make two small bags to hold. Slowly learning. Hope these hints that I do are helpful. Have enjoyed your patterns.
    Do have a Merry Christmas and Safe and New Year and Holiday season.

12. Candace A. on 18 December, 2013 at 9:27 pm said:

Our microwave is broken, would it be ok to put these in the oven for a little while at like 200 degrees?

13. This may be a silly question but why doesn’t the corn pop when you put it in the microwave
    I have made these from wheat and I love them but corn sounds like it could be a problem

• Judy, this cracked me up, cause it sounds like something I would ask! I would love to give you a proper answer, but I am afraid I have no idea why it doesn’t pop. It is feed corn, which is different kind of processed corn. I use the corn in mine, and I can at least promise you that they do just fine in the microwave. If you microwave them too long, they will burn and stink a little. :)

• Judy,

Popcorn is a different variety than feed corn or even the corn you buy from the produce section at your local grocery. Just like some peppers are hot, while others are sweet.

14. Karen H Barnes on 31 December, 2013 at 7:26 pm said:

Hi. Not sure if this will help Karly to get the heat packs to stay warm longer but I always put a mug half filled with water into the microwave with the pack and heat the pack in bursts of about 30-40 seconds on high, taking it out and shuffling the filling around and popping back into the microwave for another burst. I do this as many times as needed, until I feel the pack is warmed right through. Be careful, though, as you can burn the filling which ruins the whole pack as the smell is awful. I use wheat and lavender in mine so I am not sure about corn or rice? Hope this helps…… Thanks Ashlee for a great Crafty site!

15. Karen H Barnes on 1 January, 2014 at 8:10 pm said:

Hi.Just made ten of the hand warmers in 2 hours! That was from cutting to sewing to filling to finishing! Great project, great little gift to have “on hand” – pun intended! :)

16. Kathy R on 25 January, 2014 at 12:00 am said:

I have been making these for years. They make very good heating bags. I was really getting down with my small gifts and so instead of the corn or the rice for which I out of, I used beans. Just any kind will work. Also, it was beginning to get cold weather, and cold air was coming under the door, so I measured the width plus 1 inch and about the size around as a roll of breakfast sausage. I filled it with rice just enough to fit snug against the door and it kept the room from being so breezy. The dogs never bothered it. I used the same idea for a noise blocker for my grandsons room.

17. I have made the heating pads (everyone in my family got one of these last year for Christmas) but I really like these hand warmers. I wonder if it would work sewing in about a 1-1 1/2 in strap across the middle of the pads to keep it on your hands more easily….just a thought!!